Sunday, February 1, 2009

"May No Soldier Go Unloved"




I decided to find a volunteer job a while back. I had volunteered at the church the whole time we were at Ft Sam and figured I should continue to do so here. I decided on Soldiers' Angels. "Soldiers' Angels is a volunteer-led 501(c)(3) non-profit organization providing aid and comfort to the men and women of the United States Army, Marines, Navy, Air Force, Coast Guard, and their families. Founded by the mother of two American soldiers, we are an international, volunteer-led organization supporting America's men and women in uniform. With over 30 different teams and programs, our nearly 200,000 volunteers assist veterans, wounded and deployed personnel and their families in a variety of unique and effective ways."

I first found out about Soldiers Angels while, lurking, um, reading a military blog, From My Position, On the Way! The blog is written by Major Chuck Ziegenfuss, a wounded soldier, who benefited from the Soldiers Angels team at Landstuhl Regional Medical Center (LRMC). It was b/c of Chuck's experience that Project Valour IT was born. Please read his story at the previous link!

Anyway, Chuck blogged about Soldiers' Angels needing some shoes for wounded soldiers at LRMC. I thought, "I could help with that." The project coordinator (sorry if I get actual title wrong), Maryanne Phillips, in Landstuhl sent me a very nice email of thanks. When I found out we were coming to Germany, I thought I should volunteer with the Soldiers Angels Germany team. "Soldiers' Angels Germany is a group of volunteers - military and civilians - living in Germany. We are supported by the Soldiers' Angels Foundation and many private donors. So, I contacted MaryAnn. And here I am now... ;)

As part of the Soldiers' Angels Medical Support Team, our mission is to support wounded and ill soldiers being treated at the Landstuhl Regional Medical Center facilities. Although we are small compared to the wonderful efforts of the LRMC Pastoral Department (Wounded Warrior Ministry Center), we serve approximately 400 hospital inpatients and outpatients with up to 1000 lbs of donations each month.

Donations include phone cards, clothing, Blankets of Hope, snacks, get well cards, and much more."


Please visit Maryann's blog for Soldiers Angels Germany.

Also, here's a video interview of MaryAnn: Interview

Remember that the soldiers are being wounded all year long. I know we tend to think of them more at the holiday time, but Soldiers' Angels provides every day. Please visit the links I've provided if you would like to donate in some way.

No comments: